The Metalanguage Festival of Improvised Music brought together a scrummage of musicians who had previously recorded on The Beak Doctor/Metalanguage label.
The Science Set was recorded in performance on October 21, 1980, at The Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, a grand hall with lots of age and rubbed-off gold. We got the feeling, gazing from the stage at the high ceilings above the wrap-around box seating, that it was The Roman Coliseum. If we squeezed into our Lion costumes, we could make a night of it. The contests were in duos, trios, quartets, and an occasional solo: someone battling himself.
- BD6: The Science Set -- The Metalanguage Festival of Improvised Music 1980, Volume 2
- Derek Bailey: acoustic guitar
- Greg Goodman: piano & percussion
- Henry Kaiser: electric guitar
- Toshinori Kondo: trumpet
- Larry Ochs: tenor & sopranino saxophones
- Evan Parker: tenor & soprano saxophones
- Jon Raskin: clarinet, baritone & alto saxophones
- Andrew Voigt: alto & sopranino saxophones
- Side 1 (24:41)
- Cumulus: Kaiser, Voigt (4:32)
- Gabbro Scoops: Bailey, Ochs, Kondo (5:20)
- Lexeme: Parker, Goodman, Raskin, Ochs (7:08)
- Xenon: Kondo, Parker (7:41)
- Side 2 (27:08)
- Realgar: Bailey, Raskin (4:47)
- Carpus: Kondo, Kaiser, Goodman (7:45)
- Basalt: Parker solo (7:54)
- Applied Ions: Ensemble (6:42)
- Recorded in San Francisco at The Great American Music Hall by Bob Shumaker.
- Mastered by Phil Brown at Warner Brothers, Los Angeles.
- Produced by Larry Ochs in conjunction with Beak Doctor Records.
- Cover design and layout: M.K. Frank, Berkeley.
- Special thanks to Lee Brinkman, Tom and Judy Bradshaw.